Tour Around Port Issac (Doc Martin's Cornish Village)
Today we’re going on a virtual trip to Port Issac, Cornwall – a small historic fishing village that has recently become quite famous for being the place where the TV show Doc Martin was filmed. The village has centuries of history and is really beautiful. I hope you enjoy our walk around today and get some good listening practice for your English too.
New Vocabulary from the Video
Here are a list of some of the harder words I mentioned in the video.
- Jagged – (adjective) Rough and sharp points sticking up
The jagged rocks cut his feet.
- Rugged – (adjective) Rocky and even ground
The rugged coastline was difficult to traverse.
- Blustery – (adjective) Strong winds
It was a blustery day, so no good for umbrellas.
- Breakwater – (noun) A barrier in the sea that protects the harbour from large waves and storms
- Thoroughfare – (noun) a road or path joining two places
- Peninsula – (noun) a piece of land almost surrounded by water, connected to the mainland by a small strip of land
- Cove (noun) – A sheltered bay, where the sea pushes inland a bit
- Hidden gem – (noun) a secret place that many people don’t know about but is beautiful
- Sluggish – (adjective) Slow-moving, with a lack of energy
He sluggishly made his way to work.
In the video, I used the second conditional: If I were a cow, I would live here.
If + past tense, + would/could/might + base form verb
If you were a cow, where would you want to live?