Who doesn’t like music?
Music is a huge part of all of our lives. Not only can it be fun to listen to, but music can also be a good way to practice a new language and pick up some vocabulary.
Today we won’t be using any songs to learn, but we do have a story to read that includes some super-common expressions and terms.
So here’s how we’ll do it. Read the sentence in bold in the story below. The sentence that comes after the one in bold contains a blank (____). You have to fill in this blank to match the meaning of the sentence in bold.
Here’s an example:
Now you have a go. The answers are below the story if you get stuck, but try not to cheat!
Story & Vocabulary Practice
I always like to find good, new music. I’m always __ __ ___ (lookout) for new music. It’s now part of my daily routine and I find it’s a great way to start the day. I generally have a good chance of finding something new to listen to as I use a lot of different services to search for music. It is ___ ___ (highly) that I will find good music!
I often search on YouTube, but I don’t usually pay for services because it seems unnecessary. I _______ (tend) pay for music.
Sometimes, however, I will listen for too long and waste my entire morning! I don’t realise how easy it is to ___ ___ (track) of time when listening to music.
I found an amazing song this morning! I was shocked to discover such a good song! I was so surprised to ___ ___ (come) something so perfectly suited to my tastes.
How did you do? It’s pretty difficult, isn't it?
Now let’s have a look at those new words!
To be on the lookout (for something)
This is a common expression that means you are searching or looking for something.
“Likely” is an adjective to show probability, or the chance of something happening. If something Is likely to happen, then there is a 75% chance it will happen.
We can modify this adjective with an adverb, such as “highly”, “very” or “not very”.
These words change the probability slightly. For example, “highly likely” would be about 85% chance of something happening. “Not very likely” would be about a 15% chance.
“Tend to” talks about something we usually do, or something that usually happens. It can talk about a habit or a recurring event.
To lose track of time
This is another very common expression which we use when we are having so much fun or are absorbed in an activity and we forget about time.
To come across
Finally today, “come across” is a phrasal verb that means “to find something by accident”. In other words, you didn’t plan on finding it, but you saw it anyway.
Now It's Your Turn!
In the comments below, answer these questions using the new vocabulary
I've created a free 3-day email course to introduce you to some of the most common English expressions.